Monday, January 6, 2014

Week 12/2/13 and 12/9/13


My advisors, Computer Science and Information Systems Department Chair, and Dean of STEM have approved our Undergraduate Student Research Grant. I have now submitted it to the comity for review. It is apparently a tough year, since funding is limited and more applicants than normal have applied.
We are still in high hopes though!

We have not heard anything back from the 2013 National Conference on Undergraduate Research that we applied to present at. I will post updates when I hear them.  

I also submitted my Mid Year Report this week. 

Downloaded and installed the program Gensim. It is a program created to run different models. It is mainly for calculating and analyzing semeiotical structure of text. It has several built in functions that can be implemented into our python programs.   I was able to run through several tutorials to get acquainted with the program. One very cool thing that I was able to do was to create and iterate over a similarity matrix for a corpus of documents. Many programs are not able to do this since for a large corpus, the size of the matrix grows at a rate of x^2. Gensim stores data on a computers disk and thus avoids this potential memory problem.

Another program that we have seen several times in our literature review is Lucene. We may consider working with this program as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment